Thursday, March 20, 2014

March Madness Writing Contest

Update - Sadly I didn't make the finals, but you can check out the finalists and vote for your favorite here - http://susannahill.blogspot.com/2014/03/march-madness-writing-contest-finalists.html .  I already cast my vote.

Thanks to everyone who read and commented on my story.  If you keep reading down the post you will notice my story has been removed.  I was told that agents and editors frown upon having your submissions published anywhere - even online.  And since I plan on revising and possibly submitting the story to a few agents in the near future, I thought it was best if I removed it.



I decided to enter Susanna Leonard Hill's March Madness Writing Contest and write a PB Fractured Fairy-Tale in 400 words or less.


The MarcMadness Writing Contest!

The Contest: Write a children's story, in poetry or prosemaximum 400 words, that is a fractured fairy tale.  Feel free to add a theme of spring, or mix in one of the spring holidays if you like - St. Patrick's Day, April Fools Day, Easter or Passover, Arbor Day, Earth Day...  Have fun with it!  The madder* the better! :)
*as in wild and wacky, not angry :)

You do not have to include spring - that is optional.

The story can be a picture book or a short story - whatever you like.

If it's a picture book, you may NOT include art notes, because we get into a weird area of whether that's fair in terms of word count and added description etc.  So if you write a picture book that's wonderful, but make sure art notes aren't necessary to understand it.
"Fairy Tale" apparently turned out to be a very debatable term, so my fellow judges and I will do our best to handle whatever you've come up with.
Title not included in word count.
For more info you can see contest details here.

25 comments:

  1. You did a funny and unexpected take on the story. It was refreshing and I enjoyed it thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific, Alena! I love it! A robot Cinderella whose ambition is to clean, not be the princess - very original take on the tale! So glad you decided to enter. Thanks so much for joining in the springtime writing madness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanna. I'm glad I discovered your blog this week. It was fun trying to come up with a story that fit in time. And since it is Spring, cleaning is on my brain. I only wished I liked to do it.

      Delete
  3. I've already found my prince but I could use a Roborella. LOL. Cute story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Wendy. Especially since as I wrote the story I was looking around my house thinking about all of the things that needed a good Spring cleaning.

      Delete
  4. This is adorable! Very clever. Love the ending. Great job, Alena! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super! I especially liked how she was so busy thinking about the ball that she mixed up her chores! It's nice to see that Roboella enjoyed her work, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alena...so lovely to meet you! Susanna's contests are amazing...so much creativity..and it's fun to meet new writers and read their great work!
    This is so fun...I also did a 'Cinderella' fractured tale...yours is super outside the box and very enjoyable...I think kids would LOVE a robot Cinderella.:) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) I'm glad I discovered her blog and this fun contest. It was fun trying to come up with something new and even more fun reading all of the other great entries.

      Delete
  7. I am so glad you entered. I adore the title and the concept of Roborella. I love how she and th eprince dance the robot. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, Love it, Love it! Did I say I love it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it, because it focussed on something other than the prince and the princess meeting each other. A very unique spin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Swept the chickens and fed the flowers" -- I laughed, this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of creative twists here - love it, Alena, especially that Roborella never ran out of things to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever, right out of left field. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd hire Roborella! Very cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is cute! I like the idea of a royal ball as a job fair. And Roborella would be very welcome in our house, especially if she can organize playrooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great story! Great take on the Cinderella tale. Love the robot and her willingness to clean. And I like the twisty ending. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great sense of humor in this story. I loved “He’s looking for a housekeeper, a gardener, and a Princess." I like a prince with priorities.

    ReplyDelete